Wednesday, October 8, 2014

I didn't completely forget about this blog, I swear!

I haven't updated my blog in a million years for a number of reasons:

  • I've been here a year, so if I go to the market, or take public transport, or teach a class, it no longer feels like "OMG," but instead more like "yeah, life". So I don't feel compelled to tell you about eating plantains and koki and cous cous, or riding motos and cramming into bush taxis, or seeing so many green hills and palm trees and banana trees, or doing maybe a really good job of negotiating a price down. 
  • I have wifi, so instead of planning ahead for blog entries when I'd have good Internet, I'm just on it every day and don't ever think about it.
  • After a little time passes, suddenly the thought of recounting g EVERYTHING from FOREVER seems daunting so I put off the task
         Which is why I'm going to stop telling my every meal and daily activities, and start sharing random anecdotes from life in this wacky country!

First of all, I never officially introduced this guy: 



Bruce and I met at a party in a town about two hours from my house. When I first saw him I thought he was a rat. Well, he turned out to be a super friendly, evidently abandoned kitten that everyone kind of wanted to take home, but only I (in my mourning, reboundy post-Colby state) was crazy enough to actually commit to. During the whole party he sat on my shoulder as we danced and played drinking games and chatted with friends.  Since we shared so many of the same interests, I figured it was meant to be. I crammed him in my purse, zipped it almost all the way, and took him on several long bus rides til we got home and started our happy life together. He's a real sweetie pie and keeps me company and is almost done peeing and crapping wherever he pleases. 



But yeah stuff is still good (see entry: I'm singing in the rain). Bafang is still the best post ever (see entry: Post Announcement). I like my friends, I like my town, I like my students, and I'm feeling pretty good about my work situation between the women's school, youth delegation, and local high school.  I now have not one but TWO awesome roommates (one human, one feline)!  I get to travel! I'm near friends! My small monthly salary is still more than adequate for the cost of living here! Can't complain. 

3 comments:

  1. Am a little late reading this ... but absolutely still loving your posts! I, too, wonder what happened to the photo of you and Bruce ... would love to see the cutie! :-)

    ReplyDelete